- 50g cake flour
- handfull of thyme
- 1kg pork, deboned and cubed
- 2 onions, diced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 250ml chicken stock
- 250ml apple juice
- 3 large potatoes, quartered
- 6-8 carrots, chunky chopped
- 4 green Grannysmith apples, skinned, cored and diced
- salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for the sweetcorn pap-dumplings:
- 125ml maize meal
- 250ml water
- 1 egg, whisked
- 60g cake flour
- 5ml baking powder
- 1 tin sweet corn, drained
- salt to taste
- Roll the meat in thyme, flour, salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in the potjie and sauté the onion and celery until soft.
- Add the meat and brown.
- Add the stock, apples and apple juice and simmer until the meat is nearly done.
- Add the potatoes and carrots and simmer until nearly done. If you need a little more liquid, some Sauvignon Blanc (fruity as possible) will do!
- In the meantime, prep dumplings and place them on top of all the ingredients in the pot 30 minutes before the end of cooking time. To make the dumplings, blend the maize meal, salt and water and bring to the boil. Cook until the ‘dough’ begins to thicken, stirring continuously. Remove from the heat and rapidly stir in the egg. Sift the cake flour and baking powder together and add to the maize meal mixture. Stir well. Finally, add the sweet corn and blend well.
- Drop spoonfuls of the mixture on top of the ingredients in the pot and simmer for 45 minutes or until the dumplings are done.
- Serve with rice. Serves 6-8. 3 hour cooking time. Dumplings go in 45 minutes before the end.